For those of you who have followed our blog and trip to Alaska (rodneyandbrooke.blogspot.com), welcome to our new blog about our most recent urban adventure. After more than a year on the road, driving north of the Arctic circle, cooking on a camp stove next to our car, living out of plastic boxes, and living in a fantastic tent and many, many apartments, we have finally decided to take a job in LA and are beginning our transition to city life. If you had asked either of us five years ago if we would ever have lived in LA, I’m fairly certain the answer would have been a resounding, “I don’t think so.” But here we are, and we are surprisingly happy and excited about this new adventure.


This blog was inspired by the beginning of our house hunt and my adjustment to life in LA. Please feel free to follow along on our adventure to find our own place in LA.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

There and Back Again

I realize that I have not posted in three weeks, and a crazy three weeks it has been. I have spent the majority of the last three weeks, not in LA. I had a chance at the last minute to go to my brother’s CD Release Concert in Pennsylvania, and I was so excited to be able to support him and to get to hear his awesome performance. It was truly a well-done show, and the night was a success. At one point my six year old nephew turned to us and said, “It just doesn’t get any better than this,” and he was so right. To check out Justin’s new CD, got to vialinota.com to hear some of his work and buy the CD. You will not regret having this on your computer and in your car.

I returned to LA to see my parents who were out here on business. We had a great couple of days bumming around the area and checking out some wonderful places to nosh. If you know my parents, you know food is pretty important, and few places are as great as LA for finding good food. Mom and I discovered a wonderful little cafe in Burbank called Studio Cafe Magazzino with great sandwiches and cappuccinos that would make an Italian swoon. We had pancakes and french toast galore at the Granville Cafe also in Burbank, and we had a delightful Italian dinner at the Market City Caffe where the breadsticks are as “to die for” as people claim. On Wednesday morning, we decided to venture into Beverly Hills to get lunch, and after a hectic trip we were repaid with a good lunch and absolutely amazing desserts. If you are in Beverly Hills, and you do not visit The Farm of Beverly Hills for their cobbler or bread pudding, then you have only yourself to blame, and your life will indeed be lacking. For all of you foodies out there who are in or plan to visit LA, I highly recommend the website eat-la.com. It is a wealth of restaurant information and recommendations that you can search by area in the city.

After the culinary tour a la’ Anderson, my parents headed south for some more business, and I took to starting my graduate classes. Since our move here, I have signed up for graduate courses in biology at the University of Nebraska Kearney. They are online, and since school started, I had a lot to catch up on. The catching up, however, was cut short. For the weekend, we headed up to Sequoia National Park to sightsee and just get out of town, but while we were there, we got the call that my grandfather had died. My distance from the airport and the need to get to North Carolina quickly meant that we drove straight from the mountains to the airport, and I flew out on Saturday afternoon where my parents picked me up. In ten days, my parents had picked me up at the Baltimore airport, the Los Angeles airport, and the Charlotte airport. I think that is a record for all of us.

The funeral went well, as well as these things go, and we were overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support from so many people who are in my grandparents’ lives. My grandparents had a similar penchant for dining outside the home, and people from a local restaurant even came to the viewing. When we went to Cracker Barrel a few days after the funeral many of the employees came up to express their condolences to us. It was truly touching, and it was nice to see that so many people cared. As with most funerals, getting to see family was nice. All of my cousins were able to come, and we were just able to spend some time together. After spending a few days with my grandmother helping her and my mom and aunts, I headed back to LA to yet again catch up on my classes and resume the apartment search.

When I was at my grandma's, I was helping with her thank you notes for the funeral. When I looked in her address file, there was our card with just our names across the top. Maybe we've been on the road a little too long. I am really looking forward to the time when we have an actual home in LA. As much as I love the Residence Inn, it is a little difficult to feel very settled with maid service every few days, and I miss my gold pans from Williams and Sonoma, which can only be taken out of storage when I have an actual place to live. So here's to residences and giving my grandma a little more contact info for that sad little white card.

No comments:

Post a Comment