For those of you who have followed our blog and trip to Alaska (rodneyandbrooke.blogspot.com), welcome to our new blog about our most recent urban adventure. After more than a year on the road, driving north of the Arctic circle, cooking on a camp stove next to our car, living out of plastic boxes, and living in a fantastic tent and many, many apartments, we have finally decided to take a job in LA and are beginning our transition to city life. If you had asked either of us five years ago if we would ever have lived in LA, I’m fairly certain the answer would have been a resounding, “I don’t think so.” But here we are, and we are surprisingly happy and excited about this new adventure.


This blog was inspired by the beginning of our house hunt and my adjustment to life in LA. Please feel free to follow along on our adventure to find our own place in LA.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Oh what tangled webs...

I would be remiss if I did not mention a little bit about my trip home to PA in January. I had a great time hanging out with my adorable nieces and nephew, listening to some of Justin’s new songs, and watching football with dear friends. We ended up cooking up a storm while I was there. Luke introduced me to the wonderful farm that they go to to get all of their pasture-raised meat (where they also have lard!), and I learned to make a pie crust. So even with nothing else, the trip was obviously a win.

But the other excitement of the week was that Mom and I got to spend two lovely days at Labadie Looms. If you live in Lancaster, and you have not been to Labadie Looms, it really is worth your while. The store is a fantastic collection of yarns (many of which have been hand-dyed and are just amazing), looms, knitting supplies, rug hooking supplies, and local crafts. Last year, we learned to spin yarn there, but this year we ventured into the world of weaving and absolutely loved it. Donna (the owner) is a great teacher, and at the end of the two days we were both the proud owners of a loom. As I sat there weaving away, I thought, “There is no space in my house, but I really need to have one of these.” When I expressed my concern, my mom said, “Surely you have an empty wall.” I just laughed. Tragically 750 square feet shared between two people who both have a book obsession doesn’t come with a lot of extra walls, but I knew we could make it work. I have already woven one little piece on my Kromski Harp Rigid Heddle loom, and I can’t wait to see what all I can learn to do with it. It is tucked neatly away behind the couch and ventures out into our only open area when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment