For those of you who have followed our blog and trip to Alaska (rodneyandbrooke.blogspot.com), welcome to our new blog about our most recent urban adventure. After more than a year on the road, driving north of the Arctic circle, cooking on a camp stove next to our car, living out of plastic boxes, and living in a fantastic tent and many, many apartments, we have finally decided to take a job in LA and are beginning our transition to city life. If you had asked either of us five years ago if we would ever have lived in LA, I’m fairly certain the answer would have been a resounding, “I don’t think so.” But here we are, and we are surprisingly happy and excited about this new adventure.


This blog was inspired by the beginning of our house hunt and my adjustment to life in LA. Please feel free to follow along on our adventure to find our own place in LA.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Learning to rethink

Growing up my family traveled the I-95 corridor along the east coast more than most people, and on any trip, we always visited a Cracker Barrel. The reason? Consistency. That and the availability of vegetables. My mother liked that she knew what we were getting and the opportunity to get something green.

Now, however, I have to admit that I have very mixed feelings about the homogeneity of the United States. In am not a huge fan of shopping centers or driving through a town and seeing all the same restaurants that I see in every other town. I am sad about the loss of local establishments, local color, and a sense of community that I imagine these establishments to provide. Anywhere I go, I search up and down for a good coffee shop, and I am not usually happy until I find one that “feels right.” I often prefer the unpredictable. I am often dragging my husband into places that look a little sketch, just because they have a “local” air about them, and I am willing to take the risk.

But being new in LA has challenged my usual distaste for the predictable.
Today I went to Whole Foods. Sure there are plenty of other grocery stores around, and I’m sure they are all just fine. I am even loving checking out the Trader Joe’s that I always wished for when we lived in Colorado. But I didn’t go to Whole Foods because they are better or have better options. I went because they are familiar. They are known. When I wander up and down the aisles, the offerings are predictable, so much so that when I found a jar of 365 salsa, I hugged it to my chest and smiled. For the last two years, I have had a lot of issues with food, and Whole Foods is one of the places that I have been able to find a lot of foods that I can eat. For this reason, I love walking up and down the aisles and feeling at home.
Since our move here, Panera has been a similar experience for me. When I walk inside, I know what to expect. I know that I can eat a bagel, and it will be good. I can use the internet, get work done, and the atmosphere is fine.

This is not to say that I have not tried out new places. I have visited a cute cafe for lunch, and I have tried out a local bakery. I have also had fun visiting a local bookstore and discovering a local yarn shop. But I am surprised by my desire to find something that is known. In the midst of upheaval and transition, there is something comforting about walking into a grocery store that I do not have to figure out. And there is something calming about seeing a Panera sign and knowing what it is and that I can get wifi there.

This realization is a challenge to me and has made me think about community and comfort and that maybe there is a place for all types of establishments. I still really dislike how everything looks the same everywhere, but maybe homogeneity is not always at odds with community. Or maybe it just has something different to offer. Either way, I was glad this week for the salsa and the chance to think about some of my assumptions.

2 comments:

  1. Moving to a new place is a weird experience in that you're basically starting from scratch. I like to think of places like Panera as helping to ease the transition. The danger is that if you don't put effort into it, you never actually finish the transition.

    I see similar issues with national media (radio, TV, etc.) and national news (especially on the internet).

    -DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy your sitting in Panera Bread! ;-)

    ReplyDelete